Khan Academy: Addition and Subtraction

Addition 2: Adding 2-digit numbers

We are going to begin exploring using the site Khan Academy to support our learning in class.  The teacher on this site, Saul Khan, teaches almost everything we could possibly need to know in school.

This week as a challenge I am putting his Addition and Subtraction modules up for us to listen to and practice.  What is so great about these modules is that there is a video where Saul presents the concepts and then there are practice problems.  If you do not understanding something, or get an answer incorrect, it explains the answer to you, or you can review the video again.

This is a huge support for our learning, as well as an opportunity to enrich any subject we are interested in.  You can work at your own rate and progress through a subject of your interest.  You can log in and track your progress with your work.  You can even add me as your coach, so I can see your progress, too.  We can learn some incredible things.  Yay for Saul!  Happy exploring!

Read about the Khan Academy on their About page. I will add the link to both the Students and the Parents section on the blog. Students can log in for free and track their progress.

Have you used Khan Academy before?

Did you like watching the video?

33 Responses to Khan Academy: Addition and Subtraction

1. Athur says:

I enjoyed watching the Khan Akademy video. I already knew this type of addition but it’s fun to watch these videos sometimes because it refreshes your memory.

From, Arthur

Dear Arthur,

I know you will like the series of videos and practice problems. This will be something you are do in a small group at school as well. If you would like to try this next week, that would be great! I will start building math groups.

2. Victoria says:

I haven’t gone to Khan Academy, yet I think it’s a great site. I think Khan Academy is great, because if you have a problem, you can go to Khan Academy and that is what I plan to use in the future.
    From,Victoria

Dear Victoria,

Thanks for your comment. I am happy your like the Khan Academy video. It will be a great way for us to review some of the math we do in class. I think we should make a video ourselves doing math.

3. owen says:

Dear Ms. Amri,

Yes Ms Amri I have been on a jet boat. It is really fun!

I really like Khan academy. I think it is a fun way to learn.

From, Owen

Dear Owen,

Thanks for the comment. I am happy your like the videos. They are a great way to review the math we do in class. I can’t wait for my next jet boat trip too!

4. Kyra says:

No I have never ever used Khan Academy before. I am looking forward to some division videos. I like the weekly poll. I have a question for you. Do you know how Saul writes in the videos?

From, Kyra

Dear Kyra,

Thanks for your comment. I know that Saul is really good at explaining his mathematical thinking from simple to really complicated problems. He usually just starts working out a problem and talks through each step he takes. He has a program something Voicethreads where he has a screen to write on and a microphone to record his voice. We will be trying this ourselves soon. It is a great way to listening to yourself and think about your own thinking.

5. Caroline says:

I have not used Khan Acadamy before. Yes, I enjoyed the video. I liked the video, because I like that he showed the video in color so it was easy to pay attention.
    From, Caroline

Dear Caroline,

Thanks for the comment. I agree that watching him write out all the steps in his thinking is very helpful for us to see how the explain “the journey” to the answer, as we say in class. The colors are definitely a plus.

6. Ross says:

I have used Khan Academy before. Last year I did it at the end of the school year and it’s really fun. It’s a good way to learn math.

From Ross

Dear Ross,

Thanks for your comment. I am thinking we could form some small groups to watch a video and do problem sets together. We can set up a schedule next week.

7. Ross says:

I forgot to tell you to click my name!

8. Charley says:

I’m excited for tomorrow because I’m going to a farm, and it is a creepy, crawly day at the farm. I heard that I going to go catch some animals and bugs there. I’m not realy good at math, but good at reading and spelling. I have a math problem for you. There are 5 families of frogs. Each frog family has 6 frogs. How many frogs are there together?
    From, Charley

Dear Charley,

You have many personal strengths, Charley. i like that you notice that reading and writing are definitely very strong. Just because you are less strong in math does not mean you are not good at it. You are! This is a great math problem. I think you could write a book with animal math stories or riddles like this one you wrote for me. Keep up the great work, Charley. You are an awesome student, and I am lucky to have you in my class.

The answer to your math story: I drew a picture of 5 groups with 6 frogs in each group. I used my understanding of multiples and I counted by 6s, 5 times. 6, 12, 18, 24, 30. So the answer is 30. As I looked at the picture I had drawn, I decided it was easier for me to count by 5s, so I checked my answer by counting by 5s 6 times. 5, 10 15, 20, 25, 30. I got the same answer, so I think this is correct.

Thanks for the fun, Charley! You filled my bucket with this great comment.

9. Charley says:

Dear Mrs Armi,
    This was very hard!
    5+5+5+5+5=25 so 25+ 6 = 31
    Did you get the anser right?
    From,Charley

10. Caden says:

I like Khan Academy. I think it is a great way to learn.
    Like Arthur said, when you watch the video, it does refresh your memory.

From, Caden

Dear Caden,

Thanks for your comment. You will be able to use this as a tool when you are doing a math problem you do not understand. Thanks for all your hard work, Caden. You are a great student.

11. kai says:

I love math. I enjoy that it is challenging and makes me think.

I would love to see some more challenging math videos, maybe division?

Kai

Dear Kai,

Thanks for the comment. This is good feedback on the math. I will try to give more challenging problems for you.

12. Pingback: Time for a break and visiting other blogs : Challenge Yourself to Blog

13. Pingback: Time for a break and visiting other blogs | Well Done!

14. Braxton says:

I did the weekly poll. I voted for Christmas.

15. Ben Pinoli says:

Dear Mrs. Amri:

I like this movie because it teaches us how to borrow. The movie was long, but it was well worth it, because I learned a lot. I especially liked how he showed us different ways to solve the same problem.

Dear Ben,

You are correct about it being long. However, I too, think it is great because you can see all the ways to work a subtraction problem. Thanks for all your hard work, Ben.

16. Celeste says:

Hi Mrs. Amri,

I like the Khan Academy video about subtraction I learned a lot.

From, Celeste

17. Matea Goode says:

Dear Ms.Amri,
    I like Khan Academy because it challenges you and math
    is fun!

Dear Matea,

I am happy you are enjoying the videos. I think they are great to review the things we are learning in class. You can also practice some problems on it too. Give it a try. Let me know what you think.