It’s a Book

We have been very busy learning how we will be reading and writing through blogging. We are a participating in a global collaboration project called The Student Blogging Challenge in which students and classes from around the world are joining together to work on improving their writing through blogging.  This project also challenges us to learn new Web 2.0 tools that support and enrich our learning.  We get weekly challenges and try to keep deadlines for completing them, which is an important skill as we learn to collaborate and communicate with others around the globe.  We are so grateful to be a part of this project.

IMG_6653

IMG_6581

We know that we are using our blog to practice the Daily 5 which is part of our literacy time: read to selfread with otherslisten to reading, writer’s workshop, and spelling/vocabulary practice. We know we can even read books on the iPad.

IMG_6655

IMG_6654

IMG_6582

We will also be starting book bags for at home reading.  This is are a fun way to do your daily reading homework, and a great way for you to share your learning with us.  We will be blogging about our reading as a way to share our reading reflections with each other.  I am excited to start this type of book sharing. Yay for reading!

IMG_6677

IMG_6678

IMG_6578

Do you have a favorite book?

What is your favorite genre?

59 Responses to It’s a Book

1. admin says:

My favorite book is Big Foot. It is a Folktale.
    From, Pedro

2. Izzy says:

My favorite book is Heaven is for real. it is non fiction.
    From, Izzy

Dear Izzy,

That is a great book. I love non fiction too. There is so much to learn. Thanks for your quick reply. I can count on you.

3. Garrett says:

Dear Mrs. Amri ,

My favorite book is Magic Tree House. It is a mix up with
    science fiction, history and mystery.

From, Garrett

Dear Garrett,
      Magic Tree House is a great series. It combines historical events with mystery and fantasy and that makes it really fun. You are so right!

4. Joseph says:

My favorite 52 books are the Magic Tree House series. My favorite genre is mystery.

From, Joseph

Dear Joseph,
      Have you read all 52? It is a great series. I agree with you. I love a good mystery. It always pulls you in and you don’t want to put the book down. Do you have a few favorites in the series?

• Joseph says:

Yes I have read the whole Magic Tree House series. My favorite
        books are Soccer on Sunday and Night of the Ninjas. What is your favorite book?

From, Joseph

Dear Joseph,
          Last year I read The Night Fairy and loved it. It was recommended on the list of Oregon Battle of the Books. Have you seen that list? It is a good place to get recommendations for books.

• Joseph says:

The Night Fairy sounds like a great book. I have not seen the battle of the books list. I will have to look at it.

From, Joseph

5. Lilly says:

I loved the video. I couldn’t stop watching it!
    My favorite book is “Sunny, The Sun Fairy” and I love reading about real animals.
    What is your favorite book?
    I can’t wait to see you tomorrow.
    Lilly

Dear Lilly,
      I think the video is hysterical as well. It makes me laugh every time. Fairies are some of my favorite fantasy creatures so I, too, love books about them. Might there be a Lilly, the Lilac Fairy out there somewhere? Do you know what genre fairy books are? What about books about animals? One of my favorite books is The Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz. I will be reading it to the class for a read-aloud. I can’t wait to see you too, Lilly. Thank you for your enthusiasm for learning, and for life!

• Lilly says:

I am looking for the butterfly coming out of the chrysalis! I hope there is a book called Lilly, the Lilac Fairy!
        I think that fairy books are in the Fairy Tale genre. The animal books are in the Informational genre, unless they are telling a made-up story. I am typing some of this message for the first time!
        From, Lilly

Dear Lilly,
          I am watching too to see the butterfly emerge. That is an interesting process, isn’t it? By the way, I was actually thinking that you might the author of that yet-to-be-written fairy book named after you: Lilly The Lilac Fairy! It would be a fun imaginative writing piece for you.

6. Matthew says:

My favorite book is funny. It is “Happy Birthday Bad Kitty” by Nick Bruel.
    From, Matthew

7. Grace says:

Dear Mrs. Amri
    My favorite genre is mystery, and my favorite book is The Magic Treehouse.
    I will see you soon.
    Grace

Dear Grace,
      That is such a great series. I love the mystery mixed with fantasy and history. Do you have a favorite?

8. Nathan says:

My favorite books are written by Mo Willems. I like Elephant and Piggy stories.
    From Nathan

Dear Nathan,
      I love Mo Williams, too. His humor is what makes him so unique. Do you know genre his books are? Did you know that he was a Sesame Street writer and won many awards for his work? You can definitely recognize his humor in the way those characters speak and react to each other. I love the humor in Sesame Street to this day. That is how i found the video “Call Me Maybe” that inspired me to call you on my banana phone.

9. Phillip says:

Dear Mrs. Amri
    My favorite book is Harry Potter.
    My favorite genre is Fantasy

10. Ethan says:

My favorite books are the Geronimo Stilton series. I’ve read 55 of them and also some of the Cavemice, Thea Stilton , and Spacemice.

Dear Ethan,
      That is a very fun series. I agree with you. Have you read The Judy Moody series or the series about her brother, Stink? I think you would like those too. What genre are the Geronimo Stilton series?

• Ethan says:

I have read 3 Stink books but no Judy Moody books. The Geronimo Stilton series is Adventure with a hint of realism.

• Ethan says:

I know you like poetry, what else do you like to read? What is your favorite book?

Dear Ethan,
            I love fantasy and mystery, so the Harry Potter is fun for me. I also love humor so fiction that has humorous characters is fun too. Naked Mole Rat Get Dressed is an example. I like to learn about other people in other countries, so informational text is also a favorite.

Dear Ethan,
          I thought you would find the Stink books! Judy Moody is funny as well. You should try one.

• Ethan says:

I’ve seen some Judy Moody in the class library.
            Informational is also one of my favorites.

11. pedro says:

my favorite is minecraft essential handbook. my favorite genre is mystery.

Dear Pedro,
      Minecraft is a very popular game. That is great that you enjoy reading about it? Do you know genre that kind of book is? I love mysteries too. Do you have a series you like? Do you like The Magic Tree House books, or the Cam Jansen books?

12. Leal says:

My favorite book is Diary of a wimpy kid.
    It is realistic fiction.

From Leal

Dear Leal,
      That is a very fun series. I agree with you. Is realistic fiction a favorite for you? What did you say in the poll?

• Leal says:

Yes, realistic fiction is my favorite. In the pole, I picked realistic fiction. I have read The Ugly Truth in English and now I have started reading it in Chinese.

From Leal

Dear Leal,
          That is great that you are reading in English and Chinese. You will be such a great role model for us in Chinese.

13. Charlie says:

My favorite book is Cam Jansen! This is a mystery but I really like poetry.

Love, Charlie

Dear Charlie,
      I love that series as well. I find mysteries exciting. Poetry is one of my favorite genres, too. I enjoy the beautiful pictures the words create in my mind. I also like the sounds of words. We will be doing a poetry reading evening this year where students get to read poems aloud to parents. It is very fun. I think you will enjoy it.

14. Lauren says:

I liked the Junie B. Jones series. Now I am reading the Judy Moody and Amelia Bedelia chapter books. I enjoy realistic fiction and humor.
    Lauren

Dear Lauren,
      Junie B.Jones is a funny character. Judy Moody and Amelia Bedelia are great choices too as their characters are similiar. Good choice!

15. sydney says:

I love Tiny Titans books and Magic treehouse books. My favorite genre is fairy tales.

16. thomas says:

My favorite book is “Pete the Cat.” I think it’s a funny and I have a stuffed Pete

From thomas

17. Cooper says:

Dear Ms. Amri,
    My favorite series is Magic Treehouse. My favorite genre is mystery.

From, Cooper

Dear Cooper,
      I can see from the poll that mystery is the most popular genre. Magic Tree House is a very good series.

18. Alana Miles says:

Mrs Amri,

My favorite book is Chicken Little. I think it’s funny.

From Alana Miles

Dear Alana,
      I think humor is one of your personal strengths. I think as a writer you will be using it. I look forward to watching you grow as a writer.

19. Guido says:

My favorite genre is mistery. My favorite book is Scooby–Doo!

From,Guido!!!

Dear Guido,
      I noticed that mystery is the most popular genre on the poll this last week. I think the humor in the Scooby Doo series is what i like about it too.

20. Addi says:

My favorite genre is mystery. I like it because I like how it is a surprise at the end

And my favroite book is Ivy and Bean and the ghost that had to go. It is a mystery.

From Addi.

Dear Addi,
      I love surprises too. Ivy and Bean are great characters. Are you excited for the play? Did you go to the theater last year?

21. quinn says:

Dear Mrs Amri i think it is a great idea to selabrat pumpkin day.)from quinn

Dear Quinn,
      Thank you for your comment. It will be my first Pumpkin Day after many years of celebrating Watermelon Day. We will look forward to it! That creates happiness, you know.

22. quinn says:

It is a great idea to come up with pumpkin day. I am excited for Halloween. I am excited my birthday.

Quinn

Dear Quinn,
      Thanks for the comment again. Just a reminder that you will want to be careful to leave your comment under the correct post. You answered the watermelon questions under the “It’s a Book” post. I still get your comment, but you may wonder later where you comment and my reply is.
      You are a great student, Quinn. Thanks for your enthusiasm for learning.

23. Dear Mrs. Amri’s Class,
    We really liked the book video on your blog. We saw it twice and we laughed a lot. Our favorite class book is George Brown, Class Clown by Nancy Krulik. We were able to Skype with Nancy Krulik and she told us about her life. She told us she always writes with her dog by her side. She lives in New York City.
    Have a good day!
    Mrs. Avnor’s Class
    avnorclassblog.weebly.com

Dear Mrs. Avnor’s Class,
      Thank you for your comment and your book recommendation by Nancy Krulik.Thanks for leaving your link to your blog. We will start visiting you.
      from, Mrs. Amri and Class