Let’s Hear It for Growth Mindset!

Hip, Hip, Hurray! We began our homework this week, and we are reminding ourselves that we need to have a growth mindset when sitting down to do it each day. That means we are learning how to have a positive attitude with challenges we face. We have reading, writing, and math work. We are building reading stamina, and doing word work.

We are working on counting and number patterns. We are practicing our math facts.

We are even trying to challenge ourselves to do more than is required.

We are learning how to build our resiliency and grit, so we can continue to learn and improve in our work at school and at home. This was an important main idea in the book we read by Peter Reynolds, The Dot: be courageous, make your mark and keep on going to see where it takes you.

We skyped with classes in Hawaii, New York, Illinois, Vermont and South Carolina and British Columbia, Canada to celebrate International Dot Day.  They all agreed that this is an important message for us. It was fun for us to connect with them to share our learning. Thank you skyping friends!

Watch these two great videos I found on our new blogging friend’s blog, Ms. Moore’s Class in Hobart, Tasmania. They, too, are learning about the importance of a growth mindset.

We are beginning the Student Blogging Challenge this week. We are excited to start looking at blogs from other classes around the world. We want to say thank you to our new blogging friends in Ms. Moore’s Class for sharing your learning with us!

Do you have a growth mindset or a fixed mindset?

This entry was posted in social emotional skills, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Let’s Hear It for Growth Mindset!

1. Van says:

I sometimes have a growth mindset and sometimes a fixed mindset. But I would like to have a growth mindset.

From, Van

Dear Van,
      I can tell you have a growth mindset. Keep it up! We all have moments of getting in a fixed mindset. We will be adding tools to our tool belt that will help us to get unstuck.

2. Molly says:

I have a growth mind set. I like the videos that you found on Ms. Moore’s blog.
    Love, Molly

Dear Molly,
      Thanks Molly! I liked them, too. It is great to explore other classes blogs. We will learn much by reading their blogs.

3. Noah says:

I have a growth mindset! If make a mistake, I will tell myself “Keep on trying, don’t give-up!”

4. Jack says:

I have a fixed mind set. I am going to work on a growth mindset to help me learn
    Thank you for sharing the great video.

Love, Jack

Dear Jack,
      You have a genius inside you. Believe in yourself, be courageous and celebrate your mistakes. “Keep moving forward” as they say, and you will do great things in your life. You matter, Jack!

5. Cam says:

I have a growth mindset because I like to learn complicated things. Once I get taught something then I know it. I can use it in tests.
    From Cam

Dear Cam,
      I can see you have a growth mindset. Keep it up and “keep moving forward”. It will really help you at school and at home.

6. Sophia says:

I have a growth mindset because I like to learn new things.
    Sophia Gilday

Dear Sophia,
      I would agree that you have a strong growth mindset. We notice that most when we fail and we are able to bounce back quickly from a feeling of failure. It is a good feeling when we realize that mistakes or failure are opportunities to grow and learn. I love the idea of celebrating our mistakes. We must “keep moving forward”!

7. Emmie says:

Dear Mrs Amri
    I am a growth mindset. Because I will never stop learning.

Dear Emmie,
      I am happy you realize you have a growth mindset. Failure is the path to success. soethimes it doesn’t feel good, but we have to always remember to “keep moving forward”!

8. Emi says:

I have a fixed mindset on some things when I think I may be right but I am not. My growth mindset happens when I learn by failure and it makes me better at something. I learn by making mistakes and that makes me more of a success than a failure.

I love what I have learned in school!

Love, Emi ?

Dear Emi,
      You have a very good understanding of growth mindset! It is such an important thing to remember when the negative feelings of failure come around. We have to congratulate ourselves for our effort and “keep moving forward”! Thank you for sharing your thinking in such a thoughtful way.

9. Matthew says:

I liked dot day it is very fun. I like the video.

Love, Matthew

Dear Matthew,
      I am happy you enjoy Dot Day and you enjoyed the video. What do you think the message of the book is? How is it meaningful for you in your life now in third grade?

10. Sage says:

I think I have a growth mindset because I’m only good at a few things but I know that I can push myself to try things that I’m not good at. I know that I can help people with a fixed mindset to help them to have a growth mindset.
    I know I can be fearless and not have to be afraid.

Dear Sage,
      Thanks for your comment. You have a good understanding of a growth mindset, and yes, I see you do have a strong growth mindset. You are such a caring friend to others, Sage. This definitely one of your personal strengths. You can be a leader as we all work on strengthening our growth mindsets.

11. Anonymous says:

Dear Mrs.Amri,
    sometimes I have a growth mind set.

Dear Max.
      You definitely have a growth mindset. I can see that. We all feel moments of a fixed mindset. We have to remind ourselves to “keep moving forward”!

12. Anonymous says:

Dear Miss Amri,
    Sometimes I have a growth mindset