Hip, Hip Hurray! It’s Watermelon Day!

We celebrated Watermelon Day last Friday, and were grateful for a full day of watermelon activities. We know that fresh fruit is a healthy choice to include in the foods we eat daily. We learned that fruit has important vitamins and minerals that keep our bodies healthy and strong.  We also learned that nutrition is an important part of Wellness which we study in second grade.

220px-USDA_MyPlate_green

We are learning to read the nutritional labels on the foods we bring for snack and for lunch each day. We look for protein, fat and sugar, as well the vitamins and minerals. We know it is important to make good choices when eating and try to choose “brain food” that helps us think better. This is one of our learning targets. We look at the “My Plate” diagram to see portion amounts we should be eating.

045

We did watermelon math together and practiced the skills of estimation. We estimated the weightcircumference (= distance around), the number of seeds and the cost of the watermelon. We learned how to use different measurement tools like a ruler, yard stick, tape measurement and scale. After making our estimates we used these tools to get the actual measurements.

Of course, we all enjoyed the eating part of this math activity, and it was an important step to writing poetry using our senses to describe what the watermelon looked like (big and round), tasted like (sweet and juicy), felt like (sticky) and even sounded like (crunch).

Finally, we got to express ourselves and our experience through watercolor painting. We enjoyed doing step drawings together and then explored the beauty of watercolors. What could be better than Watermelon Day? Could it be Pumpkin Day perhaps?

Do you like to eat watermelon?

Which healthy foods (brain foods) do you like for morning snack?

30 Responses to Hip, Hip Hurray! It’s Watermelon Day!

1. Xander says:

Yes, I like watermelon. I like homemade fruit and grain bars.

Dear Xander,
      Thanks for your comment. I love watermelon. My Protein bar is my favorite. Healthy and tasty!

2. Anonymous says:

watermelon is my favorite fruit i eat for breakfast and a bagel with cream cheese i also love cantelope and oranges

Dear Friend,
      A toasted bagel with cream cheese is one of my favorite breakfast foods, too! Fresh fruit is a great choice. I love those as well. You forgot to tell me your name. Be sure to write it at the end of your comment. Take a look at some of the other comments if you are not sure.

Dear Ms. Amri,

I like to eat watermelon. My brain food is apples and strawberries or carrots for morning snack.

From Hailey

Thank you for your comment. Those are all such great choices for healthy morning snacks. Do you have a morning snack that has some protein in it? Read the labels on the back or on the box to find out. This is my challenge for you!

4. Dustin Peterson says:

Mrs. Amri,
    I love watermelon because it’s juicy. I like to eat bananas and apples for a healthy snack.
    Dustin

Dear Dustin,
      There is nothing juicier than watermelon. I love it, too. Those are great healthy snacks. Thanks for your comment.

5. Cohen Bissell says:

Yes I like watermelon. I like grapes and blueberries and crackers.

6. Henry Moats says:

I like to eat apples, watermelon, peaches, plums, strawberries, raspberries for morning snack.

Dear Henry,
      Thanks for your comment. Those are some of my favorite fruits. Great choices for morning snacks. Do you a snack that has some protein in it? Read the label on the back or on the box to find out and let me know.

• Henry says:

I also enjoy eating crackers, cheese, hard boiled eggs, waffles, fish, peanut butter and snack bars.

• Henry says:

I wanted to ask you what your favorite grain is?

Dear Henry,
            I love rice, noodles, potatoes, and bread. I would have to say my favorite one is rice. Thanks for asking me a question! Bravo. Let’s keep up the great conversations through the blog!

Dear Henry,
          Thank you for leaving a comment. Those are such great snacks. Keep making healthy choices! You will always have plenty of energy that way.

7. Blake Press says:

Watermelon day is just like your blog–they are the best! Yes, I do like to eat watermelons.
    For morning snacks, I like to eat baby bells (cheese), fish, and watermelons.
    What do you like to eat? And what types of watermelons do you like?
    Blake

Dear Blake,
      Cheese is such a great choice for brain food. There is some good protein in little Baby Bells! Can you read the label on the back of the wrapper or on the box they come in and tell us? I like all kinds of watermelon, sweet watermelon, juicy watermelon, red watermelon, crunchy watermelon, any kind of watermelon, I like watermelon. Thanks for your comment, Blake.

8. Liam Reyburn says:

Yes, I like watermelon a lot!! I also really like pears, grapes, apples, yogurt, and protein bars.
    – Liam

9. Payton says:

I like watermelon because it is sweet and crunchy. I can eat 5 pieces. I like to eat it best during the summer, but I don’t like seeds. For breakfast I usually eat fruit and a bagel.

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I can eat many pieces as well. It is hard to stop. Isn’t is great that food scientists figured out how to grow seedless watermelon?

Mrs Amri,

I had so much fun on watermelon day. I liked eating the watermelon a lot. I also like grapes for my morning snack. I like green and red grapes. My favorite are “cotton candy” grapes. Have you had “cotton candy” grapes before?

Dear Gabrielle,
      Thanks for your comment. I like grapes also. I just tried Cotton Candy grapes for the first time this summer. They are so sweet! I did not realize how different they are. It is fun to try new things, don’t you think?

11. Jackson says:

I do like to eat watermelon, sometimes. My favorite morning snacks are pineapple, oranges, blueberries, and grapes. I also like carrots, avocado and yogurt. What’s your favorite fruit?
    Jackson

Thanks for leaving me a comment. Fruit and yogurt are great brain foods. Those are all fruits you listed. I think my favorite fruits are watermelon and cantaloupe.
      from, Mrs. Amri

12. Tyler says:

I love watermelon! My favorite things to eat for morning snack are cheese and crackers, bananas, grapes or apples with peanut butter. I also love smoothies!

Dear Tyler,
      Thanks for your comment. Those are terrific healthy foods. Smoothies are a great way to get them all in one.

13. Isla says:

I love watermelon because it looks like it is a strawberry but it tastes different. It is sweet and juicy. My favorite brain foods are strawberries, cheese, blueberries, and cucumbers.
    Isla