Let’s hear it for a Growth Mindset!

ani_haha

Hip, Hip, Hurray! We are getting into the mindset of doing our homework , and we are reminding ourselves that we need to have a growth mindset when sitting down to do it each day. That means we are learning how to have a positive attitude with challenges we face. We have reading, writing, and math work. We are building reading stamina, and doing word work.

We are learning how to build our resiliency and grit, so we can continue to learn and improve in our work at school and at home. This was an important main idea in the book we read by Peter Reynolds, The Dotbe courageous, make your mark and keep on going to see where it takes you.

Are you doing your homework each night?

Where do you do your homework?

35 Responses to Let’s hear it for a Growth Mindset!

1. Payton says:

Mrs. Amri-

On Mondays when I get home, I read my homework packet to my mom. We either read it on the couch or at the kitchen table during snack after school. We read my book each night at bedtime on my bed and then write it down on my homework sheet.

What kind of homework did you do when you were in second grade? And where did you do yours?

– Payton

Thanks for your comment. You are truly following your path to being a happy and successful student when you do your homework this way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us all on the blog.

I remember doing reading homework every night. I would also practice my math facts with my mom and dad. I remember that subtraction facts were really hard for me. I did not know the word “grit” at that time, but I did feel I needed to use it.

Thanks for asking me a question!

I like doing my homework every night. I usually sit in my room to do my reading and math.

Love, Hailey

You are so fast to do your homework! Great work. This will make your path (your North Star) easier to follow.

3. Jackson Smith says:

Yes, I do my homework every night. I read in bed for 30 to 40 minutes every night. I do my worksheets at the kitchen table. I do my computer work at my mom’s desk. I have so much fun doing my homework.
    Love, Jackson

Wow, you are a fine example of having a growth mindset and using grit to increase the time you spend on your work at home. Thanks for sharing your ideas with others on the blog.

4. Anonymous says:

I don’t like homework, thanks for asking! My mom makes me do it every single day. After I get off the bus I’m allowed to have free time and electronics until 4:00. Then I sit at the kitchen table to get some work done. I am working on my grit and stamina (and good attitude)!

Did you like homework when you were a kid?

Love, Luke

Der Luke,
      Thanks for sharing your feelings about homework. I think there are many students who feel the way do. I know there have been times that I have felt that as well. Many times in fact. All work requires grit. That may be one of the most important lessons we all learn. However, just like your muscles become strong when you practice something, and just like you improve at soccer when you keep working at it over the years, doing your school work will also start to feel easier as your build up your grit. We have to keep that in mind so we stay positive. This is such an important discussion for us to have with each other. Let’s talk about it tomorrow in class. Will you bring it up?

5. Henry says:

I do my homework when I come home after my snack.
    I sit at the kitchen table to do it. When I read a book I sit on the couch.
    From, Henry

Dear Henry,
      Thanks for your comment. Making yourself comfortable for your reading time is a great idea. Other students are saying they do the math work at a table. Do you do that as well? I think that is a good choice, too, so you can write neatly.

6. Xander says:

Hello Mrs. Amri,

I do my homework each day after school or after skating practice. I do my reading on the couch and my math work I do at the table. Right now I am reading a book called Star Wars Jedi Academy and the main character is Roan. Roan wants to be a starfighter pilot but ended up at the Jedi Academy School instead. Oh also Roan Novachez’s teacher is Master Yoda.

Have a great week.
    Xander

Dear Xander,
      Thanks for sharing your thinking on how you do your homework. It is good that you break it up and do it in different places at home. A couch is always a great place to read, and a table is always a better place for math or writing. Thanks for sharing your love of Star Wars books. Master Yoda is my favorite Jedi Master. So smart he is! You, too, Xander. Keep up the great work!

Mrs Amri- I think homework is fun. I do my homework on the kitchen counter. I have not been doing my homework everyday but I am starting this week because practice makes better.

Gabrielle

8. Blake Press says:

Yes, I do my homework every night. I do it at the table mostly. Where do you do your homework? Do you do it every night? And about that do you even have homework?
    I like the sticker above that moves. I like that we can use our computers.
    Blake

Dear Blake,
      Thanks for the question about my homework. I, too, have homework every night. I always do some work right after school when you leave. Sometimes I will do a little after dinner. Finally, I do the rest of my work early in the morning when I get up. I am a early riser and love the quiet. This is my most creative time. Thanks for adding to the conversation about homework on the blog.
      From, Mrs Amri

9. Liam says:

Mrs. Amri,

Yes, I do my homework after school. I get some relaxing time and then do my homework before soccer practice or before dinner. I do the computer work at the kitchen table and my nightly reading at bedtime.

– Liam

Thanks for your comment. This is a great schedule for homework. It will help guide you on your path to happiness and success. Keep up the good work.

10. Kevin says:

I do my homework on the couch, it is very funny to do but it does take up some time from my Legos.
    From Kevin

Dear Kevin,
      Thanks for your comment. The couch is a great place for doing your reading. What about your writing? Do you do that somewhere else?
      Legos is a very good activity to do when you are done with your homework. Thanks for sharing that. Building up regular homework habits and routines is not easy. Thanks for working on it!

11. Dustin Peterson says:

I do my homework every day after school. I like doing my homework on the kitchen table and my reading in my bed.
    From, Dustin

Dear Dustin,
      Thanks for your comment. These are great places to do your homework. Keep up the good work. Practice makes better!

12. Tyler says:

I do my homework with my mom in the kitchen. We usually do it in the evening after sports activities. I like to read on the couch or in a cozy chair.

Dear Tyler,
      Thanks for your comment. That is great that your mom helps you get into the homework routine. Remember that grit and perseverance help you reach your goals, in sports and in school. Keep up the good work, Tyler!

13. Lily says:

Dear Ms Amri,
    I like homework because I like to read. My mom made a reading spot so my brother Ethan doesn’t bother me.
    Did you have a brother who bothered you?
    You’re a great teacher!
    From, Lily

Dear Lily,
      Thanks for your comment. It is so nice that your mom helps you find a place to get your work done. It is difficult with a young brother or sister. I, too, had a younger brother who loved to try to get me to pay attention to him all the time. It is what they do! We have to learn to see it as their way of showing love. We are so lucky to have a younger sibling. They can become your best friend one day, too! I know because that happened to me.

14. Reagan says:

I love to read a lot. I also like to do my homework and i like to eat strawberries too. What do you like to eat?

Love Reagan

Dear Reagan,
      Thanks for leaving me a comment. What?! You have combined homework and eating strawberries? Brilliant. Combining eating one of your favorite healthy foods with getting into your homework routine is such a good plan. Please share this with others! I hope they all read your comment.

15. Lyric Ball says:

Mrs. Amri,

I do my homework every night at the table to do math and I read on my bed for 30 minutes and on my mom’s computer to do blogs.

Lyric

Dear Lyric,
      Thanks for leaving me a comment. These are great homework routines. Keep this up. This will help guide you to finding your North Star!

16. Isabelle says:

I do my homework every night. I like to read at my desk, on the couch, or at the table.
    – Isabelle

Dear Isabelle,
      Thanks for your comment. You put so much effort into your work at home and at school This is wonderful. It will help guide you along the path as you follow your North Star, and find the things in life that make you happy and successful.

17. Anonymous says:

I do my homework at night at my desk in my room, i read on my own and practice math and write down in the morning at the kitchen table my notes

Dear ?
      Thanks for your comment. Be sure to write your first name at the end so I know who is writing. Those are good study habits. Keep up the great work.