The Global Read Aloud: Mem Fox

This month we are reading books from the Australian author Mem Fox. We are participating in The Global Read Aloud, and will be reading her books together with other students all over the world. Students everywhere love to read, and we want to join with them in getting to know some of her wonderful books.

The settings and the characters in her stories teach us so much about the beauty of the country of Australia. Let’s talk about what we know about Australia, what we want to know and what we learn as we explore her books this month. We will share our ideas on a Padlet: an online sticky notepad. Click on the + to add your first name and your ideas:

Made with Padlet

Our first book was Koala Lou.  Koala Lou has strong feelings at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the story. Listen to the story and share your ideas about the main idea or author’s message below.

How does Koala Lou feel?

What do you think the author’s message is?

Have you ever felt like Koala Lou?

26 Responses to The Global Read Aloud: Mem Fox

I like this book a lot. I think Koala Lou feels left and out unimportant in her family because she has so many brothers and sisters and her mother is very busy. I think the author is trying to tell us that no matter what, our families love and care for us, even when they get busy. I have not felt exactly like Koala Lou, but even when our family is busy with my big sister and her activities I still know that I am important.

Love, Hailey

Thank you for leaving a comment. That is so great that you understand that your parents always love you even when they are busy with your sister. Parents can get really busy at times with the things that they need to do to care for the family, that sometimes children can feel unloved. Let’s bring this up in class as I think you can help your classmates understand how parents always love us.

2. Payton says:

Mrs Amri-

Koala Lou feels sad and a little bit mad maybe.

That your family will always love you no matter what!

Yeah, kind of. (Well, not about the family) sad that I didn’t place higher than 3rd at one of my dance competitions.

– Payton

Thanks for your comment. I think your experience with competitions is good to share with the class. You understand Koala Lou’s negative feelings when she did not win. It is good that you understand that winning or losing a competition has nothing to do with your parents love for you or their pride in who you are. Their love is unconditional, and that fact is one of the most important tools in our toolbelts for happiness. I am feeling happy by just writing that right now! Let’s bring this up in our class discussion.
      Froom, Mrs. Amri

3. Lily says:

I think that she felt unloved because her mom was so busy. I think that the author’s message is family always loves you no matter what. I have ran and hid and cried when my mom gets angry at me. I wondered if she still loved me and she did forever.
    Have you ever lost a competition?
    From Lily

Dear Lily,
      Thanks for your comment. I have not competed often in anything, but I have wondered about my parents loving me when they get angry. It is not a good feeling, but I have found if I talk it out with them, I will feel better.

4. Henry says:

Koala Lou felt sad in the story. The message is that koala’s mom loves him no matter
    what. I have felt the same way as koala Lou.

Henry

Dear Henry,
      Thanks for your comment. It is important to know that everyone can feel “unseen” by their parents at some time or another. But, we need to always remember that it never means they don’t love us. Saying “I love you” is just one way they show their love for us. Let’s talk about the different ways parents show their love for us. Can you bring this us in our class discussions?

5. Julie Ball says:

Mrs. Amri,

She felt like her mom didn’t love her at all.
    The book is all about some times her mom saying koala lou I do love you.and her mom stop saying koala lou I love you but her still. I have felt like koala lou when my sister was born.

Lyric

Dear Lyric,
      Thanks for your comment. I can imagine how you felt when your baby sister was born. I think many of your classmates may understand that feeling, too. You are right to know that even though your parents were paying so much attention to your sister, that did not mean that they did not love you just as much. This is an important topic to discuss in class. Can you help bring it up? We all notice when our parents are busy with things: work, other family members, household chores. This busyness never means they don’t love us. We have to remind ourselves of this.

6. Liam says:

Koala Lou feels happy when her mom says “Koala Lou, I do love you” 😀 and she feels sad when she doesn’t say it 😞.
    The author is saying that your mom will love you no matter what. 😍
    I know my mom loves me no matter what. 😘
    – Liam

Thanks for your comment. Saying “I love you” is just one way our parents show their love for us. This is important for us all to remember. Our moms and dads help guide us in making better decisions. Sometimes they express anger and frustration when we are not making good choices. Other times they are busy with work or other family members. Finally, we may feel, like Koala Lou, that we don’t do things well enough for them to love us: be it in sports, in school, or other circumstances. Let’s bring this up in class. This is an important topic for everyone.
      Froom, Mrs. Amri

7. Isla says:

I noticed Koala Lou feels in a pattern. It goes like this: happy, sad, happy! I think the author’s message is: your family will always love you. I have never felt like Koala Lou.
    Isla

Dear Isla,
      Thanks for your comment. You bring up an important fact. Life is like bittersweet chocolate: life can be sometimes sweet and sometimes bitter. There are always ups and downs each day: happy, sad, happy events are a pattern in our lives. We can always know there is a happy event out there just waiting to surprise us. It is a great “happiness skill” in our toolbelts. Let’s bring this up in class. Can you remind me to talk about this?

8. Jackson says:

I think Koala Lou feels sad. I think the author’s message is your family always loves you. I have felt like Koala Lou before. When I feel sad I always remember that my family loves me.

What do you do when you feel sad?

Jackson

Thanks for your comment. Everyone feels sad at some point and wonders about the love of family. When I feel sad about a family problem, I try to talk about with them. Often I find out that I misunderstood them and then we were happy again. That was a good lesson for me.

9. Kevin says:

Hi Mrs. Amri,
    I read the book and I think she feels that her mom did not love her. Sometimes I feel like that too but then I remember my mom loves me no matter what.
    Kevin

Dear Kevin,
      Thanks for your comment. I think everyone feels this way sometimes. It is so important to remember that your family always loves you. That is such a wonderful gift they give us. Thanks for joining the conversation.

10. Isabelle says:

I like the book. I have never felt like Koala Lou. One message is, even if you don’t win you should still be proud of yourself. Also, Koala Lou’s mom never stopped loving her even though she didn’t always say it.
    Isabelle

Dear Isabelle,
      Thanks for your comment. It is so wonderful that you have not felt the way that Koala Lou did. Thanks as well for bringing up the fact that sometimes family members show their love in different ways that really show their love for us. Saying ” I love you” is only one way.

Mrs Amri,
    Koala Lou is feeling sad because she thinks that her mom doesn’t love her anymore. Your family will always love you no matter what happens. I learn a lot from my mom and dad. I was really sad when my daddy was on a work trip for five days. I stayed calm and counted the days and I was very happy when he came home.

Gabrielle

Dear Gabrielle,
      Thanks for leaving a comment. You bring up an important topic for us: when our parents go away on trips and the feeling of sadness that we can feel with their absence. It feeling is so real. I know I remember having feelings like that, too. You are doing the right thing when you use positive self-talk to remind yourself how much your dad loves you. These positive thoughts help create happiness when he is gone. Let’s bring up that topic to the class. Can you remind me to do this? Thanks for bringing an important topic to our classroom community.

12. Dustin Peterson says:

Dear Mrs.Amri,
    I think Koala Lou feels like she is left out. The message from Mem Fox is that my family will always love me. I have felt like Koala Lou when my Mom and Dad are busy.
    From, Dustin

Dear Dustin,
      Thanks for the comment. I think we have all felt this at some point. It is important to know that parents show us love in so many ways.

13. Luke says:

Koala Lou feels sad because her mom stopped saying Koala Lou I do love you. I think the author’s message that winning doesn’t matter, your mom will always love you. I don’t think I’ve felt like Koala Lou.

Love, Luke

14. Tyler says:

I think Koala Lou feels sad because everyone is so bisy and she doesn’t get attention. Your family always leaves bed you no matter what. I have felt like that because my family is busy and I have a lot of kids in my family.