The Global Read Aloud: Hattie and the Fox by Mem Fox

This week for The Global Read Aloud we are enjoying the book Hattie and the Fox by Mem Fox. One of the important main ideas in the story is to listen respectfully to your friends. As second graders we are also learning the importance of focusing our full attention during class, when we have a guest speaker, and when we are on field trips. Building good listening skills is one of our learning targets this year. We hope the story Hattie and the Fox will continue to remind us of the importance of this skill.

Why do you think the animals are not listening to Hattie?

Do you think you are a good listener?

20 Responses to The Global Read Aloud: Hattie and the Fox by Mem Fox

I think the animals were not listening to Hattie because they thought what she saw was only in her imagination. I think I am a pretty good listener but sometimes I feel like I’m not present. I sometimes think about other things when I should be listening! Does that ever happen to you?

Love, Hailey

You are so fast in doing your homework. Good work! Thanks for the comment and the question. Yes, this does happen to me. I always try to be present when a student is talking to me, even if many other students around me are talking or asking me questions. That is such an important skill to focus your full attention on the person who is speaking to you. I believe you are a very good listener. This will help you be a better student and to make good choices for yourself in life. You are a path to success with your listening skills. Thanks for adding to our conversation.

2. Lily says:

Dear Mrs Amri ,
    I think that they were not listening to her because they were just doing what they wanted and were distracted. Sometimes I get distracted when I should be listening .
    From Lily.

Dear Lily,
      Thanks for your comment. I think we all can get distracted. It is an important skill to always work on. Thanks for putting so much effort into your work as a student. This will make you successful in school and at home.

3. Henry says:

The animals thought that Hattie was using her imagination. I
    think that I am a good listener.

Henry

Dear Henry.
      Thanks for your comment. I am happy to hear that you are focused on good listening skills. We have to work on them all the time. That is not always easy. There can be so many distractions around us. Keep up the good work!

4. Blake Press says:

I think they weren’t listening because they didn’t care. I think I am a good listener sometimes. The video was the best.
    From Mrs.amri. I mean Blake Paul Paul

Dear Blake,
      Thanks for your comment. I wonder why they did not care that their friend was os worried. I think you should always pay attention to your friend’s concerns. They may be trying to help you and protect you. You are a good friend to others, Blake. Keep up the good work!

5. Liam says:

I think that the animals don’t listen to Hattie because they think that it’s not something to be afraid of or it’s in her imagination.

I care for my friends. I listen to my friends, when my mom tells me to stop doing stuff, I stop doing it. In class, I am a good listener, sometimes I could do better.

– Liam

Thanks for your comment. I wonder why they don’t listen to their good friend. Good friends take of each other and look out for each other if there is danger or they are hurt. It is important to always try to protect our friends when we can. I think they learned their lesson in the end. It is a good lesson for us all.

6. Jackson says:

I think that the animals didn’t listen to Hattie because they didn’t believe her. They should have. I think I’m a good listener. If you’re not a good listener, you can get into trouble. Big trouble.

Jackson

Thanks for the comment. I think you are so right. If we don’t listen well, we may not be protected from things that are unsafe. Good friends try to help and protect each other. You are a good friend to others, Jackson, and I know you would try to protect them when you can. Keep up the good work!

Mrs Amri,

They didn’t listen to Hattie because they didn’t care. The other animals didn’t want to believe Hattie.

I think I am a good listener most of the time. I am going to try to be a better listener in class and to my parents. I am not a good listener sometimes because I don’t pay attention and I get distracted.

Gabrielle

Dear Gabrielle,
      Thanks for your comment. You are a good listener, Gabrielle. That is why you are learning so much and doing so well in school. We all get distracted, and try to learn ways to be better listeners. We are in this together! Practice makes better.

8. Dustin Peterson says:

The animals didn’t listen because they were eating and not listening. I’m a good listener most of the time.
    From, Dustin

Dear Dustin,
      Thank you for your comment. You may be right that they were a bit distracted with their eating. We are all always practicing our listening skills. This is our learning target this year. Thanks for always trying your best each day. You matter.

9. Payton says:

I think that the animals aren’t listening because chickens are afraid of most things because they’re so small. Also, they don’t believe the chicken and they are big so they don’t care.

Yes- I listen we’ll because I turn my chair. But sometimes I get distracted and it’s hard to focus.

– Payton

Thanks for your comment. We all are working on our listening skills. Teachers, too! Learning different ways to focus is important for us all.

10. Isabelle says:

I think they thought she was using her imaginations and they just didn’t look and they didn’t care. I think I am a good listener because I look at the speaker when they talk.
    From, Isabelle

Dear Isabelle,
      Thanks for leaving a comment. You have great listening skills and are a good role model for your learning partners. Keep up the great work.