Whoever You Are: by Mem Fox

We learned that peace begins with each one of us sharing acts of kindness with our friends, our family and the world. We also learned that peace spreads when we focus on all the things we have in common: our joys and our sorrows, and our hopes and dreams for a bright future. This is the big idea in a book by Mem Fox called Whoever You Are.

Watch this video below. This is a digital story that has the same message: peace spreads when we focus on the things we have in common. All around the world people share the same joy of music, dance, laughter and love.  It is very creative way to share this message. Nice “green hat thinking” Mr. Harding! (video creator). Let’s look closely at how we are the same and not so different.

Add to the Padlet below. Click on on the + sign and share one of the countries in the world you recognize. Peace starts when we need to get to know each other better one step at a time! Let’s see how many countries we can name.

Made with Padlet

What do you think we all have in common all over the world?

30 Responses to Whoever You Are: by Mem Fox

All people need love and kindness, we have that in common. Every person in the world also has a special gift, and even if they are different, we all have at least one. What do you think your special gift is?

From, Hailey

Thanks for your comment. You are right about everyone needing love and kindness. When you have those things, life is so much easier. Well, let me start with your gifts: I can see that a couple of your personal strengths are wisdom and knowledge. You love to learn and it shines through. Kindness is also another of your strengths. I think one of mine is gratitude. I feel that I appreciate all the wonderful things there are in the world and it makes me so happy and grateful for them all. You are one of those things! Thanks for asking me a question.

2. Payton White says:

Mrs. Amri-

We all have in common that we don’t look the same on the outside, but we all look the same in the inside. We also, can all dance in our own special way. Each of us have our own personalities and be ourselves. We can each sing.

– Payton

Thanks for your comment. It is fun to see how much we really do have in common! I think we have found a reason to dance. Let’s make time for this. Remind me!

3. Lily says:

I think that we all have families and people we love! Next year, my family is going to take a trip to somewhere out of the USA. Where do you think we should go?
    From, Lily

Dear Lily,
      Thanks for leaving me a comment and asking me a question! That is great that you will travel to another country. I think there are so many interesting places in the world, it is hard to decide. Each country will be unique and exciting. I would love to visit a country in southeast Asia, like the island of Bali, in Indonesia. I have read about it and it looks very beautiful. I also enjoy a warm climate so I think I might like it there. What places would you like to see?

4. Cohen Bissell says:

That we are all
    Human and have hearts, but also so different. And that we all live in the same world, but in different places.

Dear Cohen,
      Thanks for your comment. It is so interesting that we can all look so different and live in such different places, but that we are the same in the most important ways all over the world. I always think it makes the world seem just a little smaller. I think there is a song about that! Let’s find it. It’s a Small World is the name, I think.

5. Henry says:

We dance. We hug. We play, eat and love each other.

From Henry

Dear Henry,
      Thank you leaving a comment. I think this gives us s reason to dance. Don’t think so? Let’s do that tomorrow.

6. lyric. says:

Mrs. Amri,

We all come from family. We all love our families.
    We always smile. And laugh. We always have dreams.
    From, Lyric.

Dear Lyric,
      Thanks for your comment. It is so wonderful to see how we have these important things in common. It really makes feel closer to each other like family!

We all have hearts ❤️❤️ To love each other and be kind. My mom is from Laos and my dad is from the United States and they come from different places on earth but they love me just the same. It doesn’t matter where you are from because you can learn from each other.

Gabrielle

Dear Gabrielle,
      Thanks for the comment. Your heart is so big and your kindness so great, Gabrielle! That is one of your personal strengths. That is so wonderful that your mom is from Laos and your dad from the United States. It is so interesting to see how life can be so different in another country like Laos, but that the people are just the same on the inside. How fun for you to learn about life in Laos from your mom. Can you teach us some Lao?

8. Jackson Smith says:

I think that we all have hearts and joy. We all have different languages and look different, but we all have feelings. We all can feel sadness, and we also can feel happy.
    We have a lot in common.
    Love, Jackson

Thanks for your comment. Joy is such a big emotion. I think we could see that joy in the people when they were dancing. It is good to remember that we all feel those big emotions like joy and sadness. It helps us feel empathy towards others when they are hurting as well. it helps us feel like one big world community when we can feel the joy and the sadness of all people in the world.

9. Blake Press says:

Thank you for letting us use the sticky notes (padlet). We all have hearts all over the world. And we have kindness. We all have eyelashes. We all have animals and might love them. What do you think we have the same?
    Blake

Dear Blake,
      Thanks for your comment. I love Padlets, too. It is so nice to see how much we all have in common, isn’t it? It is a big, beautiful world! We all love the smell of good food before we eat our meals. We all love the warm hug from sometime we love. We all love the cute baby animals. We all love a good belly laugh. Thanks for asking me a question.

10. Gabrielle' says:

Mrs Amri-

Yes, I can teach you some words that I know. I know how to say “hello” and “thank you”. I know a few words and sentences. I love eating Laos food too! Have you ever had “sticky” rice that you eat with your hands? You don’t use a fork to eat it.

Dear Gabrielle,
      Thanks for answering my question. Will you teach us a few words tomorrow? I do like sticky rice, too. I have eaten food with my hands as well. Either with a sticky bread to scoop it up, or just with my fingers after really washing them well. Isn’t it interesting to try new ways of doing things? I think it is quite fun. I must try some Laotian food!

11. Liam says:

Mrs. Amri,

We all have a heart and feelings. We may look different but we are like each other in lots of ways. We all have the same eyes, but they look different. We all have moms and dads. We all have the same love.

Liam

Thanks for your comment. It is so nice to see how we are all similar as st times it can look like we are so very different. That is a cool fact! I hope you will travel one day so you can see some of these cool places in the world.

12. Anonymous says:

I want to visit the world when I get older, because I want to meet new people from different parts of the world. I want to fill them with joy and happiness. If you were going to visit any of these countries, where would you go? I want to visit Germany first. My mom said it is beautiful there.

Reagan

Dear Reagan,
      Thanks for your comment. The world very beautiful and I know you will travel one day and see that for yourself. I loved Germany, but I also loved Tanzania and China when I visited there, too. Each country has its own beauty. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

13. Tyler says:

We all have a life to live and a heart. We all need love.

Dear Tyler,
      Thanks for your comment. It is interesting how differently people can live, isn’t it? It is so wonderful to see that our feelings, love, joy, happiness are the same all over the world. That is a pretty cool fact! I hope you will travel one day so you will see that. Where would you want to travel?

14. Sydney Zabaldo says:

Dr Mrs. Amri,

We all have a hobby we love, I love art. We all have dreams and hope and love in our heart. We all can smile, dance, laugh, and we all speak in some kind of language, I know a little spanish

Hi Sydney,
      Wow! you are so fast at getting to your homework. Thanks for the comment on this previous post. Aren’t there so many things we have in common? What did you have in common with your buddy yesterday? That is so great that you know some Spanish.

15. Sydney Zabaldo says:

We both like soccer! Yes another thing everyone has in common is that everyone has a favorite type of food they love my favorite is sushi

Dear Sydney,
      Thanks for your comment on this post. I love this book as we see that we have so much in common. I love sushi as well!