Tough Boris By Mem Fox

This week we are reading Tough Boris by the Australian author Mem Fox. It is another great book that we are reading as a part of The Global Read Aloud. One of our learning targets in reading is “I can read with expression” and this is a great book to practice this with.  Two other learning targets have been “I can retell a story” and “explain the central message”.

Made with Padlet

What did you like about this story?

Do you feel empathy for Boris?

31 Responses to Tough Boris By Mem Fox

I like this story because it reminds me that it’s okay to feel sad. Sometimes it’s not easy to show or tell others that I am sad. Do you ever feel that way? I understand how Boris feels, it can be hard to lose something you love.
    From, Hailey

Thanks for the comment You are correct about it not always begin easy to share your feelings of sadness with others. I do feel that as well. However, it is good to notice the boy’s reaction to the pirate. He is sorry for him and helps console him which is comforting to the pirate. We should remember to share that idea in class: sharing your sadness with others can help you to overcome it. Sharing your burden with a friend can help you feel better.

2. Henry says:

I like this book because it tells us about feelings and
    I do feel bad about Boris.

FromHenry

Dear Henry,
      Thanks for the comment. It is funny that it ends on such a sensitive way because the title Tough Boris does not suggest that.I like that about the book, too.
      from, Mrs. Amri

3. Jackson Smith says:

I liked that Boris has feelings like everyone in the universe. I felt sad for Boris and the boy because their parrot died.
    Jackson

Thanks for the comment. You are so right that everyone in the universe has these same feelings: little boys and scruffy pirates alike! This book communicates the same central message as the book we read last week, Whoever You are. I guess that makes sense that the central idea is similar as Mem Fox wrote both books.

4. Lyric Ball says:

I didn’t like how he treated people. I do understand how he felt. I wish he could be a little calmer and sweeter to people.

Lyric

Dear Lyric,
      Thanks for the comment. I agree with you that Boris was unkind to others. I would not want anyone to be a pirate like that. However, it is important to remember that each person, even Boris, is made to be awesome. People, like pirates, get off track at times, but each person has the potential for greatness inside and can turn things around. Let’s hope that Boris will use his feelings to help turn things around. Maybe when he experiences sadness like that through the loss of his parrot he will think about how he has made other people sad by being scary, stealing things and hurting people. Let’s hope! Do you think the the author believes this is possible?

Mrs Amri,

Boris looks tough and strong but he can have sad feelings too. Sometimes people can look different from the outside but they feel just like all of us do when they are sad inside. I like that he was able to have feelings like me.

Gabrielle

Dear Gabrielle,
      Thanks for your comment. You make a good point. We should look at those people around us who look kind of mean and scruffy on the outside and know that they are just like us inside. I,too, liked seeing that Boris had feelings like that. It was a bit unexpected. It made me stop and think. Authors like to do that to help communicate their central message. Mem Fox has made us feel sorry for the scruffy, massive, greedy pirate. That is pretty powerful writing for a book with so few words.

6. Lily says:

I like this story because, even though he is tough. He has feelings too.
    I have felt sad when I lost three dogs. I felt empathy. Last year I lost Ivan. It was sad.
    From, Lily

Dear Lily,
      Thanks for your comment. I agree with you about the feeling of empathy with Boris. Losing a pet is very sad for everyone. I am so sorry for the loss of your dog Ivan. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us all. It is consoling to know others can understand our feelings. That’s what a strong community does!

7. Liam says:

I like the story because it shows you that everyone has feelings. I feel bad for Boris because his parrot died and that is very sad.

Liam

Thanks for your comment. You are right, that the story reminds us that we all feel happiness and sadness, and we should all be there for each other during good and bad times. Losing a pet that is so loved is something that is difficult and we should support each other when that happens. Has that happened to you?

8. Kevin says:

Mrs. Amri,
    Boris was a tough pirate but inside of him he had feelings.
    Kevin

Dear Kevin,
      Thanks for your comment. It is interesting, isn’t it? This massive, scruffy pirate has moments of feeling very sad just like us. Knowing we all have similar feelings can help us support each other better when we are sad. We can use our empathy to become better friends. That is such an important to remember. Don’t you think so?

9. Blake says:

I liked when the boy stole the violin in the picture in the story. I liked that he is training the boy to be a pirate.
    Yes I felt sad when the parrot died. Mrs. Amri, what do you like in the story? What did you think the boy felt when the parrot died?
    Pirate Blake

Dear Pirate Blake,
      Thanks for your comment. Yes, that part of the story does show us that the boy is learning some pirate moves, like taking things from other people just because you want them. But, it is interesting that the boy, and we all as readers, stop in our tracks and feel extremely sad as we see how heartbroken Boris is. That tough, scruffy pirate becomes a quiet, gentle man for a moment. This reminds me that all people have hearts that love and hearts that can be broken. It is in his ability to feel love that Boris can change his unkind, pirate ways. He can us that love to lead a better life by making kinder choices with others. Do you think a pirate can actually change his or her pirate ways?
      From, Captain Amri

10. Isabelle says:

Mrs. Amri,
    I liked the story but it was sad.
    From, Isabelle

Dear Isabelle,
      Thanks for your comment. I found the ending quite unexpected and like that about it. It is interesting that a scruffy, mean pirate can be so sensitive and feel sadness at the loss of his pet parrot. It gives me a little hope that pirates may not be completely heartless. He feels love just like me. Do you think he could ever change his mean, pirate ways? This is a good discussion to have in class. Let’s bring it up.

11. Sydney Zabaldo says:

I liked that it tells us that everyone has feelings even a pirate and he was not like every pirate that we think are supposed to be mean and scary all the time

Dear Sydney,
      Oh, another comment! Thank you for this one, too. You say it well: we are not all bad or all good. We all made bad choices, but it does not make us all bad. Let’s remember to bring that point up in class.

12. Sydney Zabaldo says:

I feel sad for the parrot because he died

Dear Sydney,
      You are on a roll! Great commenting this week. Thanks for showing others how you can go back an catch up on all the conversations from the blog.

13. Tyler says:

I think that even though people look different they still can have the same feelings. My dad is big and strong but he sometimes can feel sad. I feel bad for Boris that his parrot died.

Dear Tyler,
      Thanks for your comment. That is good to bring up. Each person has times of being big and strong, but also has times of being sad or weak and then they need our support. Massive scruffy pirates as well as tiny, little mice. I have a book about that in class that I got at the book fair. Ask me about it!

14. Luke says:

I like this book because it has a little of everything, sadness, happiness and excitement.

From Luke

Dear Luke,
      Thanks for your comment this week. You are right about the different feelings that the story creates in us. I like that, too. When something is unexpected it is fun to experience. Big scruffy pirate crying big tears makes us stop and think. It is a good way to help us feel empathy.

15. Luke says:

I like this book because it has a little of everything, sadness, happiness, and excitement too.

Yes, I do feel sad for Boris because his parrot died.

From Luke

16. Payton White says:

Mrs. Amri-

I do feel empathy for Boris, because his parrot died. And, I like the story because it’s a funny story at the beginning. And, I like when the did the sword fight. But, the sad part was when the parrot dies.

Did you ever have a pet that died?

Payton

Dear Payton,,
      Thanks for the comment. I did have a pet who died when I was your age, and I remember the feeling of loss. It is important to have empathy for all people. It helps us to understand and support others when they need it.