Great People in History

We are looking forward to more nonfiction reading after Spring Break when we will explore the biographies of people in history. We know that we can learn important lessons by understanding the stories of their lives. We are inspired by the personal strengths they have in common:  determination and perseverance, curiosity and creativity, honesty and integrity, respect and responsibility, compassion and courage. They use their skills and talents in the service of others and have changed many people’s lives because of it.

Enjoy watching these videos of some Great People In History projects from former students.  You will be selecting someone to research after we come back from Spring Break. I will send home a list of names and websites where you can explore a number of great people. You will select one person to research and “become” that person in your final oral presentation. As we do our research we will focus on the personal strengths of great people, and show how they have helped make the world a better place.

Made with Padlet

What part of the this project do you think you will enjoy the most: reading, writing, speaking?

10 Responses to Great People in History

1. Payton says:

I will enjoy speaking in front of my class. Because…. I like being in front of people and my friends! If you had to choose what would choose? Thank you !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for commenting so quickly! I agree that the speaking part of this project is very fun. Who do you think you might like to become?
      from, Mrs. Amri

2. Lily says:

I will enjoy writing because …. I like it when it is quiet and peaceful so I can get my work done. Who is your favorite person?I like Malala.

Dear Lily,
      I also have great respect for Malala Yousafzai. Mrs. Wise and I had the opportunity to meet her when she came to speak in Portland. She is such an inspiration to the world as she travels around talking about the importance of education for everyone and for the need to stand together to make this happen. I am happy you are researching her.

I think I will enjoy the writing part best because I love to write. It will also be fun to do more reading about Queen Elizabeth II, I have waited for this project for so long! Who is your favorite great person of all time?
    From, Hailey

Thanks for your comment. That is so great that you have already learned so much about Queen Elizabeth. I look forward to your presentation. Your question is hard to answer as there are so many people that have contributed so much to making our world a better place. Each person does it in their own unique way. That is what is so exciting about reading biographies. I look forward to this study each year as each student has his or her own perspective on their favorite great people.

4. Blake says:

I think it is going to be a fun time speaking about my great person. It is going to be so fun learning about the great people. Who is your great person?

Dear Blake,
      I really enjoy reading about Thomas Edison as he was so creative and invented so many things as a result of his curiosity and hard work.
      There are so many interesting biographies to read. I am looking forward to our new research!

5. Liam says:

I will enjoy speaking, so that I can share facts about my person.

Thanks for your comment. I will look forward to seeing who will be researching for this project! There are so many people to choose from.
      from, Mrs. Amri